How/where to improve touchpad scrolling?

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Sun Apr 28 17:22:35 BST 2019

Hi everyone,

I’m successfully using KDE Neon on my Subnotebook now. I really like the
circular scrolling feature on the touchpad. It allows to efficiently scroll
long web pages. Does anyone else use it?

But there is a problem: When the finger gets close to the center of the
touchpad, scrolling becomes unpredictable. Currently, a movement of a certain
angle arround the center causes a scroll step, so near the center scrolling
either does not work or instantly moves to the top/bottom of even long web
pages. Then, the human’s focus is lost.

I want to slow down scrolling near the center, so the page doesn’t jump
arround unpredictably. Instead, the user can recognize that the finger got too
close to the center.

Alternatively (probably bad), the center could move adaptively to the fingers
movement, guessing the users intention.

Where can I make improvements to the touchpad code? (Where is the touchpad
code at all?) What do I need to be careful about?

Cheers,
David Hurka