Akademy BoF discussion notes

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Aug 2 12:40:07 UTC 2017

# ARM
- ye ole arm be blocked on ssh.
- we do not know why
- sgclark to investigate
- it still remains to be decided what exactly should be built and/or
if the mobile CI would be entirely deprecated. this is entirely up to
bshah. there are advantages to either.

# openqa
- we have installation
- restructure iso job to employ testing before publishing
- need work to make useful for plasma and other porn consumers

# snap
- make sure there is a bug report we track about snapd content snap
dependency management/installation nonesense
- report bug about deb exclusion from dev tarball (otherwise file
conflict between parts causes snapcraft failure)
- do initial translation from debian to snapcraft via current tooling
- xdg portals hard requirement
- look into disk space implications of one home per snap (and per
revision copies thereof)

# LTS base
- it is important
- forking is a bit of a problem
- what about security support of forks?
  - maybe monitor security disclosure crap against a given name (how
to figure out the "name"?), such that we can auto-integrate and/or
warn when security issues appear in software so we can go looking for
a fix
- processwise it would be nicer if KDE svn things got moved to git
instead, which supposedly no one has a problem with but can't be
bothered to do.
- why are archive rebuilds not a thing? Jon's a lazy bum.

# 18.04
- Offline upgrade to 18.04. Can we do that without btrfs?
- ui download crap -> prompt for upgrade -> can be either now, or
later. when user decides to apply upgrade next boot takes forever.
- ubuntu release upgrader as fallback in case offline upgrades turn
out as a nogo
  - maybe give it a ui cleanup?
- should discover show a warning about the end of support and a button
to upgrade to 18.04?
- have a systray notification thing about the upgrade and allowing to trigger it
- rebuild everything. possibly start doing concurrent builds for 16.04
and 18.04 starting Jan or so, to have everything ready.
- write openqa test for the upgrade
- http://releases.neon.kde.org/ needs updating
- base-files needs updating for os-release and lsb-release

neondocker:
    attach bash thread, or just exec (this is a ruby kernel command
http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.4.1/Kernel.html#method-i-exec) `docker run
-it` http://piotrmurach.github.io/tty/