Does it make sense to dig deeper into NEON/KWin/QT -> NVIDIA/nouveau

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Oct 10 10:45:21 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 05:23:47PM +0200, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
> chrashes?
>
> Hi,
>
> I'am a KDE user and trying to participate in up to date KDE development. NEON
> offer this in a very convenient way so I'am giving it a test.
>
> I used until 1h before an NVIDIA GEFORCE graphic adapter and this caused my
> display to freeze very regular. This happened after 2..20' of KDE NEON use,
> stopped the display  but doesn't stop networking.
> There is no special application to point at, it happens even without active
> use of the GUI. It doesn't depend neither on kernel (4.8 now)  nor NEON
> versions ("developers unstable" now).
> IMHO one of the more recent QT/KDE components triggers some problem in the
> graphics stack. Does it make sense to have a (guided please!) closer look at
> this problem?
> (I'am running the on board Intel i915 graphics without problems now?)

This is mostly beyond the knowledge of those of us working on Neon, we
concentrate on the KDE software and anything below that we just leave
to the distro to sort out. If you want to investigate it you might
find the KWin developer has some pointers, else the Ubuntu graphics
people.  Sorry if that's not a very useful answer

Jonathan