A bit of help needed with Backspace key processing on Android

Alex Bilyk Alex.Bilyk at concentrix.com
Tue Jun 25 19:20:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'be been working on a team that is porting a desktop app from Windows to Android. It's a large C++ app. We are putting tablet friendly UI in place of the one we have developed for the desktop. One of the things I'm doing here is making a proxy input for QLineEdits in the app. The user interaction flow is this

- the user invokes one of our many app dialogs - a dialog full of QLineEdits shows up (a form)
- user taps one of the text input fields
- a proxy input dialog pops up with a single QLineEdit and ENTER push button; the Android keyboard pops up at the same time. The proxy dialog is positiond right above the keyboard.
- the user enters text in this new edit box, hits ENTER in the dialog or Done on the keyboard
- the proxy dialog and keyboard disappear and the text that was entered is copied into the QLineEdit that was originally tapped on.

Now, the issue that I have spend what seems like inordinate amount of time on is that when I tap the Backspace key on the Android keyboard all I get is a bunch of InputMethod events that have all their properties blank: commitString, preeditString and positional data all are blank or zero.

As a result, hitting the Backspace key has no effect whatsoever in the proxy input box. This is the only key that exhibits this seemingly no-op behavior.

Would anyone know what might be going on with this?

Thank you very much,
Alex