Android NDK, Revision 9 ramblings.

George Najarian najay at najay.com
Wed Jul 31 01:54:44 UTC 2013

the issue with no variables showing up is a dwarf-2 vs dwarf-4
issue. I modified my qmake.conf file to change '-g' to '-g -gdwarf2'
and my variables came back.

george

On 7/30/2013 5:18 PM, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Google released "Android NDK, Revision 9" late last week, and it
> includes Python GDB integration, so we don't need to recommend or
> suggest my NDKs any more for richer debugging. Of note though is that
> they deprecated GCC 4.4.3 and 4.7, kept 4.6 and added 4.8. We went
> with 4.7 as it's been more reliable than 4.6 in the past. The
> deprecated toolchains are now in separate "-legacy-toolchains"
> archives (but also contain Python enabled GDBs .. they were rebuilt)
>
> We might want to consider building Qt for Android with a toolchain
> that's not marked as deprecated?
>
>>From my initial testing, debugging code built with GCC 4.8 on GDB
> 7.3.x is not working well (no variables showing up in "Locals and
> expressions"), whereas 4.6 is fine. I believe Google plans to move
> over to GDB 7.6, so I will make some builds/releases of just GDB 7.6
> to see if that works better with GCC 4.8.
>
> Also, Platform-tools 18 was released with an adb.exe (for Windows only
> of course) which includes the fork-server fixes so again, my adb.exe
> should no longer be recommended.
>
> I've done my testing on Windows so please report any issues you run
> into on Linux.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ray.

George Najarian
Najay Engineering, Inc.
(714) 699-3785
http://www.najayengineering.com
najay at najay.com

//Confidentiality Notice: this transmission is intended for the sole use
of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or email. Thank you.//