Welcome, PostgreSQL, Bugs

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 19:22:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

>G reetings!
>
> First, let me say that the work done so far is great. I've already been able
> to compile Android versions of a bunch of my Qt programs.

Thanks !

> Next, I have a gift. Many of my applications that actually *do* anything use
> PostgreSQL - not the QSql* classes, but rather libpq. So I hacked together a
> libpq.a that I can link with my Android/Necessitas apps. I don't have
> patches against PostgreSQL sources because, well, it's complicated. I have a
> Debian image that I mount and chroot to on my phone. I installed and configured
> the PostgreSQL sources on my phone, then copied the tree to the box with
> Necessitas. I edited just enough makefiles to build the library with the cross
> compiler.
>
> There's a tarball at:
>
>      http://symsys.com/~ingram/necessitas/postgresql
>
> It's just the headers and libpq.a. I unpack that tarball in the necessitas
> directory and edit makefiles to find the include files and the library.
>
> What would it take to get libpq into the Necessitas distribution?
>

> Would you like me to try to tackle the qpsql driver (bug #304224)? Would a qpsql
> driver mean the QSql* classes would work with PostgreSQL? I haven't tried
> building the Necessitas Qt framework yet.

It will take much more than a .a file :). First and foremost we don't accept
binaries. There are two conditions to be met before a library to be included
in Necessitas:
 - the library API/ABI must be stable.
 - the library must be built from sources by our build script.

> Last, is it reasonable to say we want an Android app to behave, as much as
> possible, exactly like it's non-Android counterpart? If so, I have a handful
> of little UI bugs to report. Would those reports come here to the mailing list
> or would I be expected to file them with the KDE Bugtracking System?

Please use KDE Bugtracking System.

> Cheers,
>
> - Greg

Cheers,