HOWTO qt app without ministro

mixxer ivan at litovski.com
Tue Nov 20 11:15:44 UTC 2012

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Let's be clear - we are all in awe at what you and the team have achieved.
I, for one, am hugely thankful++. Please don't take this as anything other
than an ordinary feature request. There is no philosophical difference here
- I think that *Ministro is the best deployment option* for most apps - but
perhaps should not be *the only* deployment option because special cases do
exist.

I'm grateful that you are willing to accept a clean patch that will provide
the functionality. Anybody interested in joining the effort to implement
this, please join the developer mailing list<https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/necessitas-devel>.
Perhaps, once this is done, new joiners (me included!) can remain with
necessitas so we can help in other areas. Provided Nalin agrees, we can use his
work <http://community.kde.org/KDE_Community_Wiki:Community_portal> to get
a head start.

To make sure we understand the issue completely, let me clarify a few
points that have not come accross right.

1. 15 minute refund limit

The 15 minute refund limit begins when app installation completes. Ministro
download only starts when the app is launched for the first time and hence
the problem - time is ticking from the moment app installation is done.

2. Separate app packages per CPU architecture

Stores automatically make the distinction which APK to show and deliver
based on architecture. See the "Native platform" field in the APK settings.

3. Size

Most apps won't use all Qt libs so we are probably talking in the range on
20-30Mb only (see also point 2). That's not a lot on devices with many gigs
available. Many apps are over a gig / hundreds of megs - take Lego Star
Wars, Batman etc, Galaxy on Fire or Need For Speed for example.

Thanks,
Mixxer