Experience building from source

Matt W pbsurf at gmail.com
Sat May 12 22:56:19 UTC 2012

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you to BogDan for creating and continuing to
improve Necessitas.

The all-in-one installer works great, but I was unable to get Necessitas
working following the manual install instructions (
http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/) for compiling from source (in my
case, alpha3 ca8814b from git).  I thought I'd share my experience with the
hope of helping to improve the documentation.

Here are the problems I encountered attempting to run an application from
the demos folder (tried a few):

Error: Can't copy gdbserver
Cause: unknown; worked around by manually creating destination folder
(android/lib/armeabi)

Error: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.kde.necessitas.industrius.QtActivityDelegate
Cause: android-sdk tools not in path (this requirement not specified in
documentation), causing silent failure to create QtIndustrius-14.jar when
building Necessitas.  No warning during application build or install about
absence of this jar.  Eventually found
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2011-October/000615.html

Error: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: startQtApp ; can't find the
lib/lib<appname>.so
Cause: lib<appname>.so file apparently not included in apk for unknown
reasons and without any warning.  At this point I gave up.

One suggestion (I'd happily contribute this myself if I knew how to get it
working): condense the manual installation docs to a single page that
lists, in order, everything that must be typed into the terminal to go from
a clean, minimal linux install to a working instance of Necessitas.

Best Regards,

Matt