Qt Multimedia status on Android (BogDan)

Ivan Litovski ivan at litovski.com
Fri May 4 09:43:22 UTC 2012

Hi BogDan,

I've come across the attached presentation which has some interesting
diagrams from slide 14 onwards.

It should hardly be a surprise that you can't do software HD decoding on
ARM processors. Heck, a lot of x86 CPUs can't do it. Even if it was
possible to do it all in software, we'd surely want to use all available
hardware for such intensive work. Not the least because of battery life
and freeing up CPU for other things...

I'll venture a suggestion without having time to write code and test my
theory:

1. For real time playback and recording, use hardware encoding &
decoding via OpenCore/OpenMAX. Do not try to get the pixel buffers into
Qt-friendly format, just let the openmax architecture do what it does
best and blot stuff straight to screen.

2. For functionality that requires access to decoded buffers, hack
something up with glReadPixels or something. Not great, but first
priority should be being able to play and record stuff, real time frame
processing is really not as important.

3. FFMPEG is useful for parsing / reading metadata and stuff like that.

BTW, Thomas S is trying out qt4 openmax image decoder - have a look at:

https://gitorious.org/openmax-il-qt-image-decoder-poc

Hope this helps,
Ivan