Necessitas is NOT ... (consolidating infrastructure)

Marco Bernasocchi marco at bernawebdesign.ch
Sat Mar 17 18:39:50 UTC 2012

Hi All, trying to turn rants into improvements of the situation. Even if
i don't like the way this whole thing came up, I do think that spreading
over too many channels is counterintuitive.
See below
On 03/15/2012 06:03 PM, BogDan wrote:

>  > 2) *NOTHING is done to make it a community project.*
>
>  > I already ranted about this, but the scattering of the project
> resources is
>  > just plain ridiculous, laughable and a HOWTO not to make a coherent
> project.
>  > Wiki on sourceforge, 1 mailing list on kde and 1 on google groups, 1 bug
>  > tracker on sourceforge and 1 on google code, unclear/hidden master
>  > repository, unclear contribution process, which leads me to:
>
> If you search this mailing list you'll find all the informations you
> need:
> - regarding HOWTO and other information: The sf.net pages was written
> by Damine Treg,
> sadly he didn't had time to continue, so I asked may times for peoples
> help !
> Nobody wanted to do it! I can't do everything by myself !
I can maybe do some of it, but don't we want to move all to
http://community.kde.org/Necessitas and eventually shut down the sf page?

> - 1 on google groups - this is a high traffic general mailing list
> used by everybody.
ok, many people know this service and already have an id, so I think it
is sensible to leave it there
> - 1 mailing list on kde - this one is a low traffic mailing list
> used only by developers, I don't have time to read all posts on
> google.
> - 1 bug tracker on sourceforge and 1 on google code - it was discuss
> many times before, ONLY bug tracker on sourceforge should be used.
We could just hide the issue tracker tab at:
http://code.google.com/p/android-lighthouse/adminTabs

and what about
https://bugs.kde.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Necessitas
> - unclear/hidden master repository: check
> http://community.kde.org/Necessitas/Repositories
> - unclear contribution process, as I already said to you before is not
> may fault !
>
>  > 3) *What the f... does necessitas has to do with KDE?*
>
>  > I only assume Bogdan and Ray are KDE devs and that it is easy for
> them to
>  > host necessitas's master git and "contribution process" on KDE, but
> this is
>  > VERY wrong from a necessitas perspective. KDE might have its own
>  > contribution process but it is irrelevant to us and ridiculous for a
>  > necessitas contributor to have to register a kde account to be able
> to use
>  > reviewboard, itself, IMHO, a very obscure and complicated system for
> code
>  > contribution vs. what is existing in github or gitorious.
>  > Obviously, all merge requests in the gitorious clone are ignored.
>  > Pretty please, make gitorious the main repository, use gitorious merge
>  > request system and do whatever KDE stuff you fancy do in your own KDE
>  > corner.
>
> It has everything to do with KDE! Necessitas *IS* a KDE project !
> Again, searching this list will give you enough informations.
> I'll try to summarize: When I released first alpha I had to put
> Ministro libs somewhere,
> I used some free servers to put the libs, but it was not a good
> solution. I dedicated my
> free time to this project and I didn't wanted to give also my money,
> so I had to find
> a reliable solution, back then Nokia just joined Microsoft, to fight
> against android,
> so, I had to join somebody, KDE was the natural choice, we share the
> same goal:
> To keep QT free and powerful.
>
> Regarding contributions: We want to upstream everything, the problems
> are:
> - Nokia doesn't accept contributions without accepting and sign their
> contributors agreement,
> - I can't move the project to qt-project.org (they don't want it yet
> because is not finished)
> so you can't accept their agreement, when you publish your patch.
> - The ONLY solution was to "force" contributors to release their code
> under BSD or public domain.
So you are saying that using reviewboard is the way to force
contributors to "BSD or public domain" their code so it is "legally"
impossible to use pull reguests from gitourious?

Ciao

--
Marco Bernasocchi
www.opengis.ch