QGraphicsView + QGLWidget problem

Thomas Senyk thomas.senyk at nokia.com
Mon Jun 18 09:51:27 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 05:56:01 AM ext Steve Pike wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I can see that incorporating QWidgets is QGraphicsView is a kind of backward
> compatibility mode and is not to be used for new projects. I am stuck with
> porting a very large piece of code to Android that happens to use QWidgets
> this way.There is animation, transparency, swiping effects and a lots of
> QTextEdits and all widgets are customised by deriving from original Qt
> classes.In short: I really wouldn't know where to begin if I wanted to do
> this using QtQuick, also given the time constraints.
>

> I had no idea it was wrong and unsupported as the standard Qt demos feature
> a few examples featuring widgets that are animated, transformed and
> transparent, including dialog boxes.

The problem is that for qt on android it's 100% opengl or 0% opengl (see
later)
And rendering QWidget-derived classes with opengl is unsupported.

> Back to my problem:
>
> Yes, it works if I go back to software rendering on Android (very slow) and
> it works brilliantly with OpenGL, but under Linux only. It is such a shame
> I can't use the acceleration. How I envision this to work is to have
> software rendering of QWidget derived classes into the texture cache and
> OpenGL rendering of these textures in the QGraphicsView. So what would it
> take to do this?
>
> What is the problem with OpenGL? Can't it just use one context and switch it
> to render each element, one at a time? It can render multiple applications
> too, but serially, I would imagine.

The problem is that someone needs to compose all the native surfaces.
So far nobody was found who was willing to implement it.

I was asked before, but I will not implement it as I'm very skeptical
regarding QWidget-opengl painting for various reasons.

I know this is a problem for users who want to port there
QWidget+OpenGL/GraphicsView application to android
... but I think the majority of applications need a new user-interface for
touch-based application anyway (at least I try to convince myself about that
:D)

Greets
Thomas