Alpha4 release status

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 16:11:53 UTC 2012

Hi Harri,

> Reading David Turner's mail from [1], it seems that Android atomics are
> not SMP safe either, so in that sense using those is not any better than
> Qt atomics?

Last time when I checked their code they were. Indeed armv5 is not SMP safe,
but it doesn't need to be, as I said I know no SMP device which are using arm5
android. The problem is that Qt "exports" the atomics as inline function, which
means that their content will be "copied" into your application, meaning that
your application will uses those atomics everywhere.
My fifth proposal tries to fix this problem by removing the inline and your apps
will use whatever qt comes on that platform.

> In your solutions list you refer "fast atomics", but what are those?
> If I understood you correctly, there are 3 options, Qt, android and
> gcc.   First two are fast but not SMP safe, last is slow but SMP safe.
>
> Are you saying that Qt armv7 is SMP safe and fast?

Yes, armv7 is (can be made) SMP safe and is much faster comparing
with gcc's implementation.

> If so, I'd vote for dropping arm5 support.  It would also make the
> development/testing cycle faster with one less architecture to
> support.   Usually arm5 devices are so low end with memory/screen/speed
> wise that they don't work well in any case.

I can't drop arm5 devices :) ! They are too many to be ignored.

> I'd rather have a Qt that is ready and working well for a subset of
> devices than none at all.
>
> I don't care about backward compatibility for my Qt Android apps (yet).
>    I can always recompile those, and if I don't, the deserve to die.
> While it is in Alpha this is expected.  Once in beta, backwards
> compatibility is required.

If the ABI break can be avoided, I'll do it !

> The way I see it, Qt/Necessitas can get lots of new developers
> interested for new projects if basics and new stuff works well. So I'd
> worry about new devices, Qt 5/QML, and try to trim down work required on
> maintenance type activities.   So from my perspective QtWidgets, arm5,
> backwards compatibility all can be dropped now.

After alpha4 and beta1 will be out I'll focus on Qt 5 and QML. For beta1 I
wanted a QML implementation which has the same look&feel as any
Android application, I hope somebody will step up and will do it.

> Anyways, keep up the good work!

Thanks for your kind words.

> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Harri