Next alpha release of Necessitas

Alberto Panizzo alberto at amarulasolutions.com
Wed Jul 18 08:19:18 UTC 2012

Listen,
Please, before speaking like this read the documentation of Android
and how Android manages Threads and Processes. There is no wrong
in killing applications which are no more important for the user
when the device is low in memory especially since the Android's
application model allow to manage this lifecycle path.

Android is more complex than "Android DOES NOT deliver proper
multi-task" and remember that your Qt application is hosted into a
normal Android application.

Ruben, first you should post a logcat here, obtained suddenly after
this problem appear. (If you are able to retrieve a dmesg result it
will be helpful as well).

If you want your application to not be likely considered as "killable"
from the Android framework when it goes in background, Your Java layer
should do something even when the Activity is in Paused or Stopped
state. This could be done with a Service which holds a Handler and
periodically gives tasks to do to this Handler.
But remember that this will _more likely_ keep your application running
in background. If the foreground application eats all the resources,
your background application will be sacrificed to let the user to
continue working with its first interest at that instant.

But remember that the way Necessitas bases the execution of your app
on an Activity, implies that you cannot be completely sure that your
Qt background activities will be held from the execution to the device
turn off.

Read out the Android's components lifecycles documentation

Best regards,
Alberto