how can I access Android USB devices from QT application - issue w/ device/file privileges...

mdmacniv at earthlink.net mdmacniv at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 19:50:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

I’m a ‘newbie’ to Android and QT Necessitas.

I have a QtApp that works on Mac OSx and Windows that I am now porting to Android using Necessitas.

This app accesses USB devices, which on my Android PandaBoard instantiate with dev/file privileges as:
root at android:/dev/bus/usb/001 # ls -als
total 0
crw-rw---- root     usb      189,   0 1969-12-31 17:00 001
crw-rw---- root     usb      189,   1 1969-12-31 17:00 002
crw-rw---- root     usb      189,   2 1969-12-31 17:00 003
crw-rw---- root     usb      189,   3 1969-12-31 17:00 004
crw-rw---- root     usb      189,   4 1969-12-31 17:00 005

As my QtApp doesn’t run with root privileges, I have to adb shell and chmod 666 * to be able to access the usb devices each time I run my application.

Is there a way that I change the user permissions of my ported QtApp?

Thanks for any ideas/guidance.

Malcolm

Malcolm MacNiven
Sr. Software Engineer

Malcolm MacNiven
mdmacniv at earthlink.net

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence." - Robert Fripp
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so" -Douglas Adams