Necessitas alpha4 delays

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Wed Aug 22 08:42:06 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 08:32 AM, BogDan Vatra wrote:
> Now we must decide what we do next, we see the following solutions:
> 1 - Release the SDK in a few days, but we must keep it as it is, try
> to embed the whole libstdc++ library into QtCore, even it is not
> exported all of it,but it seems it fixes the "static libstdc++"
> problem described above, but we are not 100% sure.

I wonder how much does libstdc++ increase QtCore size?
Did alpha3 only have the default libstdc++, non-stl supporting parts
linked statically with QtCore?

> 2 - Delay the release, and fix the bloody linker, make it export
> everything it should from libstdc++. The "static libstdc++" problem
> will be 100% fixed (at least theoretically).
> 3 - Delay the release, switch to shared libstdc++ library, but this
> move it will break the ABI, because all existing apps will search for
> stl and c++ symbols into QtCore not in the shared libstdc++. Of course
> we can not afford to break all existing apps, so we Ministro will need
> more love to handle multiple ABI versions.

Would it be possible to have the subset of libstdc++ used previously
linked in statically in QtCore, and the rest as a new shared library?
Then existing apps would not break and Ministro would not need
touching.  Or is this a dumb question/suggestion?   Perhaps it is easier
to fix the linker...

Btw. do we know how many existing apps there are?   Is the fix just a
recompile/relink with new SDK.
For the record, you can break all my existing apps, as expected from
Alpha release.

> 4. Is a combination between first and the seconds solution: we ship
> the SDK now (1), but we (actually Ray is doing this tremendous job,
> I'm just  the assistant)  keep working on (2).
>
> Please let us know your opinions on this matter.

I reported some issues when trying to use armv7 only installation. I
wonder if these were addressed?
Is there a change log of most recent fixes somewhere?

Cheers,

Harri