Android look&feel & Android QML controls

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 17:20:28 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

  Android look&feel is one of the most important milestones for this
project, for several months I struggle to create a style plugin for Android,

I manage to create the support for a few classic widgets.Then I start to
investigate how to reuse the work also for QML controls.

So we need QML controls which look&feel the same a native Android
controls !  Android controls needs complex drawings and requires
lots of informations e.g. fonts, colors, padding, sizes, states,etc.

All these attributes are oem,device and android version specific,
e.g. HTC devices are shipped with a different theme than Samsung
devices, but a HTC devices with android 2.2 have different theme than
devices with a android 4.0 (I also seen two different Samsung devices
with the same Android version (2.3) and they have completely different
themes), that's why I'm extracting the theme informations on every
device, and that's why we can't have any predefined images, fonts,
colors, etc. We must *READ* and *USE* these informations on every
device !

My first instinct was to mix MeeGo/Symbian QML controls [1] with
Desktop QML controls [2], but I've face a strong resistance from some
people, most probably because they misunderstood me ... it seems
they understood that I want desktop QML controls on Android, which
is not true !
I don't want to have desktop widgets on Android :) !
I want *Android* like widgets on Android ! Not desktop widgets, Not
MeeGo widgets! Not symbian  widgets !
I want an application made in Qt to have the *SAME* look&feel with any
application made using Android SDK !

I raised this problem on qt-project mailing list [3], which end up in
a forum thread [4].

I'm open to any suggestion and collaboration !

Cheers,
BogDan.

P.S. We've had lots discussions on this matter on this mailing list.

[1] https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-components/qt-components
[2] https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-components/desktop
[3] http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-April/003042.html
[4] http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/16341/