MacOSX Necesstas Alpha 3 SDK testing help needed

Jonathan Greig redteam316 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:42:13 UTC 2011

It's completely understandable that uploading multiple gb files wouldn't be
the optimal solution. I was thinking more on the lines of having the server
run the installer and then create tar/deb/rpm/etc... packages from that. I
would think that everyone uploading smaller packages could still operate as
normal but when major releases of necessitas are being done, do it then.

My experience with the installer so far:
As Ray explained, internet connections are many times unreliable and mine is
no different. I've attached a picture showing the error I get when the
installer fails to download. While it is nice that it notified me of the
problem, I was expecting on my return, to have a fully installed SDK.
Instead I found it stopped, asking to retry. There needs to be a way for it
to install hands-free. I've used nLite and developed for the Reconstructor
project in the past to make customized OS discs, and here is a snipplet of a
bash module I made for reconstructor that would download lightscribe(Their
site would randomly reject even non-automated downloads for some reason
which is why I wrote the loop in the script below)
[code]
COUNT=1

mkdir /tmp/lightscribe
cd /tmp/lightscribe

# Download the 32-bit .deb files and an icon for Lightscribe

wget
http://download.lightscribe.com/ls/lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
# Check the deb was downloaded, else keep trying to download it...
while [ ! -e /tmp/lightscribe/lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb ]
do
    echo -e "${red}Lightscribe System Software installer Download Failed.
Attempt #"$COUNT" Retrying...${endColor}"
    wget
http://download.lightscribe.com/ls/lightscribe-1.18.4.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
    let COUNT=COUNT+1
done
echo -e "${blue}Lightscribe System Software installer was successfully
downloaded.${endColor}"
[/code]
Clearly qtscript would need to be used instead of bash and something a
little more user friendly, but I would suggest that when the download fails,
to show the dialog with the error, but also set a timer so that in 3 minutes
or so it tries to download again or that when the user returns can dismiss
the retry and diagnose the problem is with their connection.

The online installer is incredibly slow. The file that it failed on is
62.3MB and it's taking forever, I'm stuck at 5% on the installer. I'm
downloading the 4.8.0-3qt-framework.7z file from firefox as I type and it is
only taking about 10 minutes AND beat the installer. With the installer
being that slow, I think that whatever is going on under the hood really
needs looked at.

-Jonathan