Qt Complex 2.0 and other stuff (the shortest long article I can do about these arguments :( )

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 18:24:33 UTC 2011

Hi Enrico,

[...]

>Then as BogDan proposed
>
>BogDan wrote:
>There are a few things where we really need help (I'll list them by
>importance) :
> - make all qt tests and benchmarks run ! These tests validates our
>work, so they are very important ! use need to use
>"./android/runtests.pl" script to run them.
> - Android Style plugin, this is another important task, this plugin
>will make your apps to look native ! Check "style-plugin" branch.
> - Menus.
> - QtMobility, most of plugins work well but some of them have a few problems.
> - QtCreator android documentation.
>
>I can support the documentation of the Qt Necessitas with the help of my wife Anto (who has already done the small job of translating some strings of Necessitas and Ministro). I can work on the English documentation - that she provide with a serious proofreading - and, with the help of some other if any volunteers is there, the localiation in Italian and Spanish languages. To start this job I will discuss the way you have in mind to create the documentation support. At the moment I know Doxygen and Linux-doc tools - already used for some linux kernel versions I have done in past -. It is also possible the creation of the Qt documentation using Qt-Doc but about this - before deciding to document Qt Complex with Doxygen - I have already discussed with some trolls (the guys from Nokia, n.d.a.) that explained me that this documentation method is only used for their internal development and it is not stable for a documentation support. Please let me know
 what have you in mind and what do you think about this step.

Great, this is the last step before we upstream android qt creator plugin !

Android QtCreator plugin documentation *MUST* be done in qt way, like symbian, maemo, etc. plugins (check android-qt-creator/doc/ folder).
 IMHO you should use qdoc to generate the documentation, because AFAIK QtCreator can handle only .qch files, also if I remember correctly Doxygen can handle qdoc syntax, so you still can generate you documentations using Doxygen without any problem.

>I need to use QtMobility in a development I am working on, so also this section maybe useful for me helping for full working. Please let me know what I should do to take the current version and search for the actually open tickets .

The biggest issue now is Multimedia plugin, which needs ffmpeg in order to work, sadly ffmpeg is not built by us and I can't ship it with Ministro (check this [1] thread for more informations, especially this [2] post).
Also other plugins needs more love, e.g Contacts plugins speed is not the best in town, also if you have more than 100 contacts it hangs, probably it has a memleak.
I think the first step is to check every plugin functionality and see what it works and what not.

>Usually I wok on Mac but I huse also linux and Windows platforms. Thus to manage the necessitas 3 I amd setting a VM with Ubuntu 10.04 LT on it. Tell me what are the other guys that are working for the Mac version release so we can work in conjunction with these problems.

I hope we'll release Mac version soon, you can use this [3] installer to test it until we'll release it, REMEMBER it is only for testing, you *MUST* uninstall it and install it again using the official installer when will be available !
Most of us are using Linux (except Ray  :), he is the fellow who provides windows and mac builds ), because it has the best support for android and for all Qt tools, so you should consider to install linux native, because compiling all qt projects on VM will be very painful experience :)

>Last, but not least, before starting any plugin development I need to understand clear what does it means the "Android style". In my mind I am thinking as a question of graphics and design but it seems a wrong questions. Thank you for your help.

Ok, I think the following links will help you to understand better than may english :)

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/qstyleplugin.html#details
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/qstyle.html#details
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/qplastiquestyle.html#details

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/qmacstyle.html#details
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.8-snapshot/qwindowsstyle.html#details

>That's all I think. Hope we can start asap on these jobs.
>
>Cheers, Enrico

Before you pick any of this task, please let us know on this list !

Thank you.

Cheers,
BogDan.

P.S. To contribute to Necessitas project you'll need a KDE account https://identity.kde.org (make sure you are using your *REAL* name) in order to push your patches to necessitas repos, I'll guide you more when the time will come.

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2011-November/000630.html
[2] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/necessitas-devel/2011-November/000641.html

[3] http://files.kde.org/necessitas/installer/necessitas-online-sdk-installer-macosx.app.zip