found problems with SDK installer on Windows

mingw android mingw.android at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 14:47:44 CEST 2011

Hi Robert,

Some of these problems exist on all 3 platforms, but I agree that we
need to make it less fiddly (the very first windows pre-release had a
23 stage install process, so we're getting better). Anyway, see my
in-line comments.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Robert Schuster <r.schuster at tarent.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> at the Qt Contributos Summit last week we did two workshop where people
> should install Necessitas using the SDK installer. It turned out that
> the Windows installation is quite complicated and fragile due to a
> number of minor issues.
>
> Here are the problems and possible solutions:
> 1)
> Problem: Java JDK needs to be installed.
> Solution: Provide royalty-free OpenJDK binaries for Windows and offer to
> install it during SDK installation.
> http://openscg.com/se/oscg_subscribe_confirm_download.jsp?file=installers%2Foscg-openjdk6b21-1-windows-installer.exe&user=

Should we package openjdk for all platforms? Have you tested openjdk?
One potential reason for not bundling openjdk is that people may
already have Eclipse running for android development, and I don't
think they'd want 2 jdks installed. However, I don't think this is a
bad idea really.
> 2)
> Problem: java.exe needs to be in PATH variable.
> Solution: QtCreator could provide a way to specify the JDK location and
> set the PATH variable automatically when ant is called.

Installing Oracles's Java does this (actually, java.exe and javaw.exe
are put into the Windows system folder)
> 3)
> Problem: JDK installation directory needs to set in JAVA_HOME
> Solution: Same as 2.

Again, Oracle Java does this (however if we do go with openJDK then
it's very easy to set both these environment variables during the
install phase and in that case I agree that we should do it)
> 4)
> Problem: Ant needs to installed manually.
> Solution: Ant is free software. We could bundle a working version and
> allow the user to install that one.

I think Mac OS X installs ant either by default or when you install
xcode unix tools. I guess Linux will vary from distro to distro. For
consistency, I agree that we could provide our own install of ant for
all platforms.
> 5)
> Problem: make.exe needs to be copied in QtCreator/bin folder.
> Solution: That seems to be a problem with the way Necessitas QtCreator
> locates the Make executable. On Windows there is one in the Android SDK
> folder.

This is fixed in the new release which I've not got out the door yet.
> 6)
> Problem: Generated makefiles depend on Unix tools like cp, rm and so on.
> Solution: The Makefile generator should use proper Windows tools. cp ->
> copy, mkdir -p -> makedir, rm -> del

Yes, I posted a question about this earlier, there's 3 ways to go,
1. I can compile MinGW rm/mkdir etc same as I do for make.exe.
2. Change the mkspecs to use windows variants like you suggest (and
BogDan prefers), but we'll also have to change some other configure
files (qtquick deploy step won't work if I do a 1:1 replacement of cp
for xcopy for example as the exit codes from Windows mkdir are of no
use/different from those of posix mkdir)
3. Provide a full MinGW environment (the same one that Qt SDK installs?)
> If nobody objects I'll put all these findings into the bugtracker.
No problem.