Qt Project Playgound or Add-on

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 12:48:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

thanks for holiday wishes, and the same to you all. Also, thank you
for making Necessitas.

I've noticed a discussion between qt-project and Necessitas back in
November, but as far as I remember, nothing final was decided. Since
that time, some new things happened in Qt that might be of interest to
you here. Official instructions on including new modules in Qt (as
add-ons) were published, with an additional option of getting
"Playground Project" status. The big advantage to any of those
approaches is that project gets gerrit+JIRA support, and can be
included in CI testing. This is all a work in progress, of course, but
there already is at least on playground project (JSON support) with
another one coming (3D audio/ OpenAL).

Some useful links:
 - wiki article: http://wiki.qt-project.org/Creating_a_new_module_or_tool_for_Qt
 - ML discussion:
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2011-December/000778.html

I think Necessitas deserves this (big time!), and it would be nice for
it to get included in future official Qt releases. Is there any
interest in that, or should Necessitas remain a separate product?

Oh, and by the way, since I'm already writing a message. Currently, Qt
4.8 is being used. What are the plans for Qt5 (if any)?

Cheers,
sierdzio