Java part rework - concept

Espen Riskedal espen at cutehacks.com
Wed Aug 31 12:54:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Robert Schuster <r.schuster at tarent.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I also updated the information on
>
> http://community.kde.org/Necessitas/Java/Redesign
>
> With all the insights and thoughts that the PoCs gave me until now. The
> picture is also updated.

I've been reading throught this and have some questions.

The Bridge code is obviously tied to a spesific Qt release and
promises no compibility. But what about the Loader code?

As I understand the app will ask for a minimum version of the Loader,
and if the Loader is of a later version that Loader will still promise
backward compatibility for earlier Loader versions?

But, is there not a connection between the Loader code and the
Bridge/Qt Qt code as well? When looking at
https://github.com/thebohemian/necessitas-android-poc/blob/master/loader/src/eu/licentia/necessitas/loader1/Activity4.java
I guess these stubs calls something in the end? Also, how is a newer
version of a Loader created - as a subclass of the previous version or
as a parallelle subclass implementing an Interface or?

Another general question I was thinking of - does this add more
complexity to debugging an app with gdb etc?

And another question - will this setup make it harder for developers
to add their own Java code to an app?

It's pretty complex stuff :)

espen