[Marble] Re: Nautical information on Marble/OpenStreetMap

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Nov 9 14:26:18 CET 2010

Yes this is possible using Marble.

You'd need a texteditor and some understanding of the filesystem to give it a
try.  There is some manual about creating custom maps, see:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/CustomMaps

Basically one would need to copy/modify the existing openstreetmap.dgml file
and one would need to add a new layer for the seamarks. As I just found out
the server Url for the seamark layer seems to be
http://tiles.openseamap.org/seamark, since at least one of the tiles has the
http://tiles.openseamap.org/seamark/15/17485/10492.png

You could even create it so that the seamark layer can be switched on and off
in the legend. Of course all that requires a bit time and tinkering with the
.dgml text files. But in general it should be possible with the current
version of Marble.

I guess looking into the excellent hike and bike map for Marble would provide
some ideas how to accomplish the task:

http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/www/sites/edu/marble/newstuff/maps/hikebikemap-
marblemap.tar.gz?revision=1169078

Best Regards,