FYI: KDE tile usage / Marble tile usage on OpenStreetMap servers

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sun Mar 26 20:40:03 BST 2023

Hello Everyone,

based on Volker Krause's recent discussions with the OSM admins there have
been new Operation Minutes published by the OSM Foundation:

<https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Operations/Minutes/2023-03-09#KDE_tile_usage>

Noteworthy quotes:

"Statistics of tile usage by KDE
    * averaging 75 tiles/sec from the Marble user agent - as of
      2023-03-08."
    * averaging 10-15 tiles/sec - additional usage under other user agents.
    * Low cache ratio: 32 tiles/sec.
For comparison:
    * QGIS: 1100 tiles/sec
    * osm.org: 1600 tiles/sec"
Other points mentioned during discussion
    * KDE are in the Top5.
    * 1 order of magnitude less than top1 and top2.
    * We're not struggling because of them.
    * OPS had discussed Marble tile usage in the past when they started
      using our tiles, as many people were playing with it.
    * KDE usage is OK with us, as long as they attribute.
    * They're the people we want to contribute to OSM.
Action item: Paul to reply to KDE that we're ok with their current tile
usage, but this might change in the future."

Hey I consider that good news. We need to get more regularly in touch (the
referred to action "when they started using our tiles" dates back to the
SotM 2008 in Limerick). We will also take action to make use of OSM servers
more carefully where reasonably possible.
It's also understandable that they don't want to issue us a blank check for
the future. ;-)

And hey, it's good to know that every second people are using our good old
Marble.

Best regards