AW: How to debug marble-qt in build folder without sudo make install

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sun Mar 19 18:59:14 GMT 2023

Hello Cui,

you are correct about your investigations.

Now the help for further debugging:

In order to get more debug messages start Marble with

marble-qt --debug-info

This will also output things like

=== MarbleDirs: ===
Local Path: "/home/tackat/.local/share/marble"
Plugin Local Path: "/home/tackat/.marble/plugins"

Marble Data Path (Run Time) : ""
Marble Data Path (Compile Time): "/usr/local/share/marble/data"

Marble Plugin Path (Run Time) : ""
Marble Plugin Path (Compile Time): "/usr/local/lib/marble/plugins"

System Path: "/usr/local/share/marble/data"
Plugin System Path: "/usr/local/lib/marble/plugins"

... which should help you to see where Marble is looking for its data and
plugins.

Another cue: Starting Marble with

marble-qt -h

This allows you to adjust data and plugin path at runtime.
Adjusting it at compile-time can be achieved by changing these

MARBLE_DATA_INSTALL_PATH
MARBLE_PLUGIN_INSTALL_PATH

in the cmake call.

Hope that helps :)