Marble Ideas

Simact Est simactest at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 22 17:00:44 BST 2022

Hi fellow Marble users and devs, how is everyone doing? I've been using Marble for a while now and was making a list of feature/change requests I've thought of. I tried to check out the Marble freenode chatroom but I was the only one there, is it no longer active? Well anyway if feature/change requests are being accepted here's my suggestions:

1. Dark mode maps. Before ditching my iPhone I really liked how the Maps app had a dark version that follows the OS theme. Currently my KDE Marble is dark mode but the maps are blinding.
For #1 I'm pretty sure this would just take adding an OpenStreetMap dark mode map that already exists (if they do) but I don't see a way to add additional maps like you would a plug in.

2. Another feature I really liked in Apple's Maps was having a toggle to "always show English labels". Currently when I look at countries that aren't in English or don't even use the Latin alphabet it becomes hard to find stuff (if the search doesn't help). For example if you look at China, Russia, Greece, Middle East countries or any non-Latin alphabet country it is confusing.
For #2 again I think this would be a mix of having an OpenStreetMap that has English only labels/titles (or at least Latin). But it may require programming where a user could toggle between English-only and it would choose to load one map or the other

3. Editing a bookmark could show a preview of where the current position is that the user could drag or click on a different area to update the co-ordinates
For #3 now that the pandemic is slowly winding down over begun to explore the world. I find some of the bookmarks I made of places to visit were slightly or not so slightly off. It would be nice to be able to edit a bookmark and have a preview in the edit screen that you could drag to get a precise location.

4. If dark maps are introduced from #1, I haven't had a chance to see since it is not available but I am guessing the yellow for the Bookmark stars would be very bright and clashing. A light green/lime/light blue might suit the dark theme more.
For #4 even if dark maps aren't introduced it would be nice to customize our bookmark star colors. This could either be with a selection of 12 pre selected by you developers or RGB input for full customization.

5. Going with #3/4 it would be pretty cool to have other shapes for bookmarks. Perhaps circles, triangles, check marks, x, fish, bird, animal track. This would be nice for further customization and check marks could be used when a bookmark has already been visited as opposed to planned
For #5 currently I write in the description if I've already visited a place or plan to. I also have separate lists for visited and planned. It would be nice if I could have just one list and the icon changes. Actually I realized we can use our own icons if we make them or find them but more built in ones would be great

Bug?

1. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional but when creating a bookmark the "Description" field starts on line 4. However when you created the bookmark and go to edit the description is on line 1 as it should be since nothing was entered.
I would expect the description field would start on line 1 when creating a bookmark and not having pressed or clicked anything in the description field.

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day everyone!