Installation Questions on Windows with QMake

Cyrus Hallock cyrushallock at live.com
Wed Jul 14 21:37:12 BST 2021

Hello all,

I'm a junior software engineer trying to use Marble along with Qt/C++ to create a 32-bit mapping application (in Windows 10). I've been looking through the developer instructions here (https://marble.kde.org/dev-intro.php), but there are still several items that I'm getting stuck on. Please bear with me, as I'm sure some of these questions seem trivial to most users.

  1.  Where do I find the Marble installation for development?
     *   I assumed the big green "Install" button on the main website was correct, but this installation doesn't appear to have any source code. Does "installing Marble" mean pulling the source code from the Git repository? I was hoping there were pre-built DLLs I could use, and I would just need to include the appropriate header files. Is that not the case?

  1.  How do I get qmake to recognize the "Marble" module?
     *   I know there are instructions for this exact thing in the page I linked, but I'm not understanding them. They give three options for getting qmake to recognize the "Marble" module. These are my misunderstandings with them, in order:

        *   "install Marble into the same prefix as your Qt5 installation (e.g. /usr)"
           *   Aside from the issues I mentioned in my first question, what do they mean about installing it into the same "prefix"? For me, the Qt installation I use is under "C:\Qt\5.15.0\msvc2019". Are they saying the root "marble" directory should be under "C:\Qt\5.15.0\msvc2019"? And where can I get that "marble" directory anyway?

        *   "pass -DMARBLE_PRI_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS=ON to cmake when building Marble"
           *   This says "when building Marble", but do they mean when building an application that uses Marble? Or does it mean when building the Marble source code? Are there specific libraries I'm building, or is there some way to just build all of Marble?

        *   "use the environment variable QMAKEPATH to point to the installation prefix of Marble when calling qmake hello-marble.pro"
           *   So many questions... What do they mean by the "installation prefix" of Marble? Is that a specific directory? How do I use "QMAKEPATH" to point to it? Am I supposed to be changing the value of QMAKEPATH, and if so, how is that achieved?
           *   I'm also using Qt Creator to build the project, not qmake from the command line. I know Qt Creator uses qmake for building, but how would I achieve what they're asking in this context? Where do I have the ability to use/edit QMAKEPATH, and what am I supposed to do with it?

Again, I know many of these seem like silly questions, but I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Let me know if you need more clarification.

Thanks for your time,
- Cyrus