Providing visual feedback for clickable regions

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Wed Dec 30 23:25:04 GMT 2020

Hi!

In KPhotoAlbum, we have a map view where the user can select images based on
their locations. Instead of displaying all images at all times, we are
clustering the images and showing one clickable rectangle per cluster instead
of individual images depending on the zoom level.

Technically, our map view subclasses Marble::LayerInterface in order to draw
the clusters onto the map.

So far, so good. The trouble begins when I try to change the mouse-cursor so
that the user is provided with visual feedback whenever the mouse hovers over
one of the selectable regions.

Studying the api.kde.org and the tutorials on community.kde.org I don't see
how I could implement the behaviour described above.

What's the best way to implement this? Was I wrong in using the
LayerInterface-approach? If so, how should I go about implementing this?

Cheers,
  Johannes

P.S.: Going slightly off-topic to my own question: did I, by any chance,
implement the clustering part in vain and does marble provide some clustering
algorithm out of the box?