Re: KDE on Android sprint in València

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 16:35:39 BST 2018

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 September 2018 16:58:35 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As we discussed with some of you in the past, it would be interesting
> > to have a KDE on Android sprint sooner than later. Today I had a call
> > with Alejandro (Slimbook CEO) who'd told me that they have some space
> > available we could use.
> >
> > We preemptively discussed doing it the week-end of the 24th November,
> > we could extend it from Thursday to Monday too.
> >
> > Would you be interested in participating?
>
> Thanks for driving this Aleix!
>
> The weekend of the 24th works for me, I could likely only extend this towards
> Monday though.
>
> In terms of possible topics, here are some ideas:
>
> KF5 on Android:
> - notification via KNotifications: does that API work for Android? can we
> build this without requiring widgets and dbus?
> - async access to content:// URLs: seems to match the KIO API, does it make
> sense to use that?
> - Intents vs Purpose: would Purpose be usable as a platform abstraction for
> intents, using system intents on Android and its own implementation on Linux?
>
> Binary Factory/Deployment:
> - how can I customize the build for my app? (e.g. enabling static builds of
> individual libs, add/remove individual dependencies,  etc)
> - where is the meta data for apks/F-Droid coming from?
> - how do we do app releases?
>
> Android STL
> - poppler >= 0.69 requires the LLVM STL rather than the deprecated GCC one,
> probably more to follow in the future. How do we deal with this/can we switch
> entirely/what are the side-effects of switching?
>
> Regards,
> Volker

All of these sound like sensible topics, thanks Volker!
Maybe it would make sense to start a thread about this in the mailing
list? Some of these are already taken into account and others knowing
what we want could be useful before the sprint.

Can those of you who may come add your name here?
https://notes.kde.org/p/kdeonandroid-sprint

I still am rather underwhelmed about the response on the sprint TBH.

Aleix