Precreating tiled data (aka offline maps)

thomas at akwgegner.de thomas at akwgegner.de
Wed Sep 13 09:17:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

for a relative with really crappy internet connection I want to precreate tiled data.

I've found [1] and followed its description using latest master on debian stretch.

My exact command is

./sources/build/tools/vectorosm-tilecreator/marble-vectorosm-tilecreator -z XXX http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/germany-latest.osm.pbf

But I got stuck at several fronts:
- Any zoom level smaller than 10 crashes with [2]
- For levels greater equal 10 I get
 [========>                                ]   20% Creating osm cache tile 286/1370 (9/267/174)    "osmconvert Error: file empty: cache/germany-latest/osm/8/133/87.o5m\n"
osmconvert failed:  "Unknown error"
and all files in cache/* are empty.

I'm using osmconvert 0.8.8.

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried working with local osm.pbf files but this works even worse.

I do know that this will take a lot of disc space, but I can spare a couple of TB.

Is there a different command/tool available? I would prefer precreating the cache compared to setting up some local tile server.

Thanks a lot for reading that far,
Thomas

[1]: https://techbase.kde.org/Marble/OSMVectorTileCreation

[2]: gdb backtrace
Thread 1 "marble-vectoros" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff76cf7a9 in Marble::GeoDataContainer::featureList() const ()
   from /usr/local/lib/libmarblewidget-qt5.so.28
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff76cf7a9 in Marble::GeoDataContainer::featureList() const ()
   from /usr/local/lib/libmarblewidget-qt5.so.28
#1  0x000055555558d9ba in Marble::VectorClipper::VectorClipper(Marble::GeoDataDocument*, int) ()
#2  0x000055555555fd79 in main ()