what3words in the Marble project

Will Johnston will.johnston at what3words.com
Mon Jan 30 10:38:02 UTC 2017

Hi Marble developers,
I spoke briefly with Albert Vaca, the maintainer of KDE Connect, who referred me
this email address.
I'm not sure if you have heard of what3words, but essentially we are a way of
referring to any location in the world in an accurate and easily communicable
way.  We divided the world into 57 trillion 3m x 3m squares, and then assigned a
unique 3 word address to every square.  So while I am writing to you from our
office at index.home.raft  , the entrance to the Sydney Opera House is at
spoon.belong.vote  .
Every single 3m x 3m square on the world's surface has a 3 word address in this
way.
This is useful when trying to express your location or trying to navigate or
deliver things to poorly addressed areas (most of the world).
We have an open API which simply converts 3 word addresses into GPS coordinates,
and vice-versa.  It would be great to talk about the possibility of integrating
this into Marble.
Please feel free to get in touch if this sounds like something you would be
interested in.
Best,

Will JohnstonPartnerships
+44 7938 165288
what3words.com

"An ingenious new system of addresses that can locate any place in the
country—and, indeed, in the world"The Economist
“A fiendishly clever solution” -The Times
“One of the cleverest technologies I have seen” -The FT
index.home.raft

Grand Prix for Innovation
Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity