Voice navigation not working in Marble Qt(5.5)

Rinaldo Rex rinaldorexg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 07:08:31 UTC 2016

Dear Marble team,

Hi, I'm in the process of using marble for navigation with a minimal
interface. I successfully compiled Marble using Qt(5.5.1) on a ubuntu Linux
pc and it is working properly.

However, I am facing an issue with the voice navigation feature. I've
compiled marble for qt as per the "sources" page on marble website.

The issue I'm facing is,

I can open marble-qt and all features work flawlessly. I can get driving
directions for motocar through monav backend and after the guidance mode is
enabled, I select "current route" from the location plugin tab and this
makes my location move on the map. (I guess it uses some default track?) So
this makes the guidance mode active and it is showing the directions one
after the other as per my movement. But I cannot get any "Voice" over for
the directions.

I tried going to settings->plugins->routing and then check "Audible turn
instructions" and select the first speaker. (The voice files have been
installed under ~/.local/share/marble/audio/speakers/) But after clicking
ok, if I open the same routing setting window again, it's automatically
"unchecked". So no voice navigation now.

Note that I've compiled Marble from GitHub master branch and phonon library
is working fine (checked with kcmshell4 kcm_phonon)

What is the issue and how can I resolve this?