[Marble-devel] Problems with translation loading

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Jun 3 14:10:29 UTC 2016

El dijous, 2 de juny de 2016, a les 12:34:13 CEST, Alexander Potashev va
escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Testing of Marble form Applications 16.04 shows several problems with
> > translation not shown in widgets and main window.
> >
> > Findings by Alexander Potashev:
> >
> > 1. Strings like "Global Search" in
> > scr/lib/marble/SearchInputWidget.cpp:76,99 load through tr(), are
> > extracted
> > into marble_qt.pot but never shown translated.
> >
> > 2. Options dialog strings, like those from MarbleViewSettingsWidget.ui,
> > are
> > extracted to marble.po, but loaded through qt_wrap_ui (instead of
> > ki18n_wrap_ui) in src/lib/marble/CMakeLists.txt, so strings like "Units",
> > "Distance:", "Angle:" are shown untranslated.
> >
> > 3. KDE packaging scripts convert marble_qt.po into marble_qt.qm, not
> > marble_qt.mo, so the translations are never shown without some manual
> > intrusion (might be Kubuntu packaging problem). For some reason, packagers
> > include MOs for marble_xml_mimetypes.po and marble.appdata.po (should it
> > be
> > org.marble.appdata.po?).
> >
> > Can somebody look at these problems and fix them if possible?
>
> Hi Yuri, Albert,
>
> CCed kde-i18n-doc in a hope that more people there are familiar with
> Qt translation system.
>
> Two remarks:
>
>  1. I think marble_qt.qm is correct because tr() utilizes Qt
> translation system. However, I didn't find any usages of QTranslator
> in Marble (besides in the marble-qt application), so not sure how
> translations could work before.
>
> Then I tried to insert these lines into
> src/apps/marble-kde/kdemain.cpp just after "QApplication app( argc,
> argv );", but that didn't help:
>
>     QTranslator translator;
>     translator.load("/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/marble_qt.qm");
>     app.installTranslator(&translator);
>
> 2. marble.appdata.po can be excluded from packages in
> release-tools[Applications/16.04]/pack_l10n.sh which is maintained by
> Albert.

I am not sure what 're asking here, are the Marble developers not
understanding how to do internationalization in their own app?

If so have they read the wiki that explains how to do what they want to do?

They did read the wiki but did not understand it still?

If so can they comment on what they find confusing on the wiki?

Cheers,
  Albert