[Marble-devel] Google Code-in (GCI) 2014

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Mon Oct 20 00:32:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

this year's GCI contest will run from December 1st to January 19th. KDE
might be among the participating organizations, so we'd have the chance
to get some nice things done again. In the previous years we got very
nice contributions from GCI, so I'll volunteer as a mentor again and
hope to get some more of you on board as well.

 From the previous year I recall that the contributions were of solid
quality and didn't interfere with other development. Therefore I'd like
to pretty much stick to the communication methods and tools we were
using before. But one thing imho is in need of improvement: We're losing
too much work down the road when tasks are not followed up until they're
fully done and pushed to the repository. The reason for it is a mixture
of Melange shortcomings (force to close tasks early, no follow-up) and
the pace of the contest (pressure to devote time to running/new tasks
while it goes on, loss of interest when the contest is over).

For now I'm thinking of going through such abandoned tasks from the last
years and decide whether they can be pushed directly, should be
discarded or need more work and can be re-used for a new GCI task. Any
better / additional ideas?

Regards,
Dennis