[Marble-devel] Shared tile cache

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at thregr.org
Tue Mar 25 11:31:17 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 08:51 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> I think this is a great idea, but I am a bit afraid that the paths are a bit
> too generic.
> E.g. on Unix you have $XDG_CACHE_HOME/tiles, but the term "tiles" is a really
> common term.
> "tiles" of what?
>
> Maybe be a bit more explicit, e.g.
> $XDG_CACHE_HOME/osm-tiles or $XDG_CACHE_HOME/osm/tiles
> or even OpenStreetMap instead of osm.
>
> The top level under $XDG_*_HOME is basically a shared namespace, using too
> generic terms will just lead to collisions.

Fully agree with the generality here, this is namespace squatting after
all. Tile caches though may contain actually data which comes from other
providers (Bing is my primary example).

Nothing against using something more specific though.

I quite like your second proposal, with $XDG_CACHE_HOME/osm/tiles, which
is quite unix-y, and offers a nice namespace for other osm related things.

I would also change the windows and OSX path then, to use a OSM
directory prefix for the same reason. I have no experience on
Windows/Mac, so if anybody has a better suggestion (maybe some other
project is already using a known directory), please let me know.