[Marble-devel] Marble Compilation

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Thu Mar 6 15:38:34 UTC 2014

Hi Atul,

for compilation running make is enough, but you also need to run 'make
install' in order to be able to run Marble. Otherwise crucial data is
missing and you see just a black map or it might crash.

Note that you either need sudo/root access for this (I don't recommend
that approach), or you install to a local directory:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/marble/export
-DWITH_DESIGNER_PLUGIN=FALSE /path/to/marble/sources
make install
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/marble/export/lib ~/marble/export/bin/marble-qt

See http://marble.kde.org/sources.php for details.

The other packages (libgps etc) are optional, so you don't need to
install them (see also http://marble.kde.org/packaging.php ). If you
want some of them, OpenSuSe probably has packaged them and you can
install them with its package manager.

Regards,
Dennis