[Marble-devel] Ellipses look like polygons

Josh Knox jknox at lauferwind.com
Fri Jun 27 19:51:24 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I've been developing an application using Marble 1.5, that I built from source on Ubuntu 12.04.
I recently started migrating to Ubuntu 14.04 which provides packages for Marble 1.8.

I use circles to mark various track points and areas, using GeoPainter::drawEllipse.

With Marble 1.5, this worked quite well visually as the ellipses and circles were drawn as ellipses and circles, and were only reduced to small polygons and lines as the view was zoomed out beyond
a scale of 1:100000.

With the newer version of Marble, anything drawn with drawEllipse is very polygonal, reducing to  squares and lines until I zoom in much closer. Even then, circles still have very noticeable flat edges, especially near 90 and 270 degrees.  Strangely, the upper and lower parts of the are much more "circular".

Is there some difference between 1.5 and 1.8, when drawingellipses/circles that produces this visual
difference; some optimization/approximation perhaps?

I'd like to have my circles look like circles again. Any ideas/suggestions for improving this?

Note that I have some irregular but largely circular shapes that I draw as polygons from a set of p redefined points. These retain their roundness at all zoom levels. Maybe I could just draw all my
various circles as predefined polygons and keep those cached for use as needed. Would really prefer
that drawEllipse worked as it used to though.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Josh