[Marble-devel] Introducing Marble 2.0

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Sat Aug 23 20:27:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

catchy subject to get your attention :-)

Albert just posted a nice overview [0] of planned changes to KDE
releases which affect Marble as well. In light of that I'd like to
propose the following changes:
- switch master from KDE 4 to KDE Frameworks 5 (no backward compatibility)
- have the KDE/4.14 branch become a long-term support for KDE 4 for
those who need it
- call the successor version of 1.9 not 1.10, but 2.0

We can keep Qt 4 as an option such that it will still be possible to
build libmarblewidget and marble-qt with Qt4.7/4.8 in the future as long
as needed.

I'd also like to do some more housekeeping:
- remove the QTONLY cmake option, instead auto-detect it and have a
WITH_KDE=OFF option as done with other libraries
- remove as much KDE specialties from src/lib/ as possible, e.g. no more
different install paths for plugins depending on QTONLY=OFF|ON
- replace quazip with karchive (more consistent .zip/.tgz/.kmz handling
that will work with windows also)
- adjust jenkins such that marble_master=master at frameworks5+qt5,
marble_stable=KDE/4.14 at qt4+kde4, remove marble_qt5, add
marble_qt4=master at qt4

I'm reviving the frameworks branch at the moment. It now compiles and
runs with Frameworks 5, but still quite some cleanup is needed. I'll
push it as a new branch kde-frameworks-5 later (deleting the frameworks
branch at the same time which is quite old). Help is, as always,
appreciated.

Regards,
Dennis

[0] http://tsdgeos.blogspot.de/2014/08/kde-releases-in-future.html