[Marble-devel] German Style OSM for Marble

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Wed Dec 18 10:08:07 UTC 2013

Hi Jan Simon,

It is quite easy to create marble themes. In your case, I would start with a
copy of the openstreetmap theme, and make the changes to that. The most
important file is the .dgml file, but just copy the whole directory.

Look in /usr/share/apps/marble/data/maps/earth for it.

You can place your theme in ~/.local/share/marble in the appropriate path for
marble to see it.

Anders

On Tirsdag den 17. december 2013 16:44:35, Jan Simon wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've got a support question about Marble. I couldn't find an answer in
> the forum/wiki and the Marble homepage states that this mailing list is
> also suitable for support questions. Here it is:
>
> I am using Marble in openSUSE 12.3 (was included in my distribution). I
> usually use it to display OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps. On the German
> website of OSM
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.de/
>
> the maps are displayed in a special "German style". I would very much
> like to make Marble display this German style, too. How can I do this?
> The "German style" map data is stored here:
>
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik-german/
>
> Does Marble download the (style independent) "raw" map data (in this
> case I would somehow have to replace the normal style elements by the
> German ones on my computer) or does Marble download the readily rendered
> pictures? In this case I would have to change the download source in
> Marble to the "German style"-one somehow.
> Furthermore, my operating system has a special background module for the
> desktop which is able (as it appears to me) to display Marble's output
> as my screen background (interactive zooming and scrolling via mouse).
> Will the new style be displayed there, too? (If not, how can I achieve
> this?)
>
> I very much appreciate your help. Please take into account, that I'm not
> an expert in Marble, OSM or Linux (I'm using Linux only since 10 months).
>
> Merry Christmas
>
> Jan Simon

Anders