[Marble-devel] GeoClue licence change

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Aug 21 10:33:01 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-08-20, John Layt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Further to the recent announcement of GeoClue 2.0, I've just seen that they
> have decided to re-licence from LGPLv2+ to be GPLv2+.  As far as I'm aware
> this will mean we cannot use the GeoClue2 C api in QtLocation or libmarble,
> and instead can only use it via DBus.

Maybe the license change only affects the daemon, not the client library?
In any case isn't it better to directly access the native API instead of going
through a wrapper that may introduce dependencies?

> A quick look at the code bases suggests QtLocation directly links to the
> library, but Marble uses the DBus interface.  As far as I know a DBus
> dependency is not acceptable for a Qt Essentials module?

Isn't the service's native API D-Bus? I.e. wouldn't using the C API just
"hide" that fact for the cost of link dependencies and runtime double
conversions?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring