[Marble-devel] GeoClue licence change

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Tue Aug 20 18:13:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

Further to the recent announcement of GeoClue 2.0, I've just seen that they
have decided to re-licence from LGPLv2+ to be GPLv2+.  As far as I'm aware
this will mean we cannot use the GeoClue2 C api in QtLocation or libmarble,
and instead can only use it via DBus.

A quick look at the code bases suggests QtLocation directly links to the
library, but Marble uses the DBus interface.  As far as I know a DBus
dependency is not acceptable for a Qt Essentials module?

If we want to ever use the GeoClue2 C library directly then I suggest we
object loudly now while we still can.

Cheers!

John.