[Marble-devel] Beginner questions

Hein, Amadeus Amadeus.Hein at diadrom.se
Sun Nov 18 12:49:31 UTC 2012

Hello marble-devs!

I'm in a small team developing a (hobby) game where we need to display a world globe. Marble is a little (OK, a lot) more advanced than we need - but I think it looks great, and seems to be fairly easy to use. I compiled it for Windows (QT) and linked to it in our C++ project, and it already looks nice!

I want to investigate a few points that you hopefully can help me with (as a newbie at Marble).

  1.  I want to have next to no "Marble functionality" left on the map. I've created a new map that only shows the globe (with no data/landmarks etc). Now I also want to get rid of the menu that displays when you left click for a while (co-ordinates appear and you can select to copy them or display their details). Furthermore I would like to override the right click menu (add Measure Point, etc) with my own functionality - how would I do that?
  2.  My MarbleWidget is looking for map data in my appData folder (.marble). I would like to redirect it to look at our own folder where we store the rest of the game data. How can I do that?
  3.  Is it possible to set the maximum zoom so that you cannot zoom too close to the map? We plan to just use one map skin, and it looks pixely when you get too close. On a similar note - can I also set the minimum zoom, so you won't get too far away, also?
  4.  Is there any examples on how to draw a point on the map (for example a city) and catching an event when the user clicks on it to display something?

I hope this is the right place for these questions.
Thank you in advance for your time, and for this awesome project!

Cheers,
Amadeus