[Marble-devel] Opencaching plugin

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Nov 6 12:10:11 UTC 2012

Hi Anders,

Thanks a lot for updating the code for the plugin. It would  be nice if the
patches would get into master.

BUT

Unfortunately the issue is a LOT more complicated: :-((((
One of the problems is that there are two projects that share the very same
name, but are not at all related to each other:

> According to the website, "All public, user submitted content in the
> OpenCaching.com database is licensed under the Creative Commons
> Attribution- ShareAlike License (CC-by-sa)" [1]

opencaching.com is not related to the Marble plugin.  It's a rather smallish
project headed by Garmin.

The Marble plugin implements the API from the loose national not-.com
OpenCaching node network:

http://www.opencaching.de (and .se, .cz, .it, .no, .nl, .pl, .uk, .us)

And even those websites don't seem in full agreement:

If you look at their terms of use they differ a bit from country to country
(which is even more curious, since the data seems to end up in the same data
set).

See e.g.

http://www.opencaching.de/articles.php?page=impressum#tos

http://www.opencaching.org.uk/articles.php?page=T_O_S

http://opencaching.wikispaces.com/Anv%C3%A4ndarvillkor

So this is a bit of a huge mess :-(

Back when I talked to the OpenCaching guys I was in contact with Oliver Dietz.
The problem here is how we deal with the different aspects of licensing.

- The API we currently use to access the OpenCaching.xx database is an
inofficial API that has IIRC non-free terms of use.

- The data itself seems to be of varying licenses. We need to check how we
deal with this inside Marble.

Recently a new API was introduced by the polish team:

http://forum.geocaching-network.com/index.php?topic=1993

This one distinguishes between

    OpenCaching.PL Data License, and
    OKAPI Terms of Use (see below)

So even if the OKAPI Terms of Use are considered ok then still one of the
problems is that the Data License differs from country to country. And someone
would need to implement the OKAPI on our side.

BR,

Torsten