[Marble-devel] How to know when all tiles/data needed for rendering are available?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 18:30:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

I want to use Marble to render a map into a QImage, based on data on a remote
service (OSM for now). Looking through the APIs of
Marble::MarbleMap/Marble::MarbleWidget and Marble::MarbleModel it was not
obvious to me how one can know when all data has been fetched needed to
properly render the map.

Is there no way? Or how could I do it?

Background:
I am currently looking into making the Map shape plugin for Calligra usable.
E.g. for rendering to the printer or to a PDF document. There the resolution
is much higher than on the screen (Retina display is not so common yet ;) ),
so other tiles are needed for a proper output.
But rendering for printer is a one-time act, kind of a snapshot. no chance for
updates on data arrival to re-render a part.
Same is true for layers with content based on the time, like the stars or
satellites.

So my need is to render the image for a given time, and only when all data
needed is available. Is that supported already in some way?

Cheers
Friedrich

PS: http://api.kde.org/4.8-api/kdeedu-apidocs/marble/html/index.html does not
yet mention Marble::MarbleMap. But isn't that one now also thought to be a key
component to be used by API users?