[Marble-devel] Suggestions for Marble Touch

Aleksi Kinnunen aleksi.kinnunen at ovi.com
Mon Jul 30 09:51:10 UTC 2012

Hi Marble developers!

I tried to find some navigation software for Nokia N9 with OSM maps, but as you know, it's very hard or even impossible (especially because I want good-looking UI). But when I found Marble.

I like very much of your app, but I have some suggestions for you, when you're designing the next version. You have already maybe thought these.

- Support for compass and auto-rotating
- Speed limit displaying and warning
- Speed camera warnings
- Show distance to destination/arrival time/travel time left in navigation screen
- If I auto-center to my current position, it shows for distance to my position in bottom right corner "0.2 km", thought I've centred the map, fix it. The button could be more bigger and clearer too.
- Bigger arrow in navigation mode
- Support for OSM exit_to tag: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=motorway%20junction
- The bottom bar could be deleted, the buttons could put to left panel (horizontal mode)
- App goes down if the route is very long (over 200 km)
- Day and night mode
- Multi-language support for UI !!!!! <- if it's already possible to translate into other languages, where?
- Full offline support: delete "prepare for offline mode" links, just pre-loading maps should be enough, and when Internet connection is needed only for search
- In Routing menu: deleting only one waypoint is not possible, you have to delete all waypoints for first, if you want to delete one of them.
- I have noticed, that app says too often "keep slightly right", thought the command "turn right" would be better.
- I noticed, that navigator says "at the roundabout take the first exit" though the exit was the second (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=61.87661&lon=28.950705&zoom=18&layers=M; when going from the NW to the SE)
- Better home screen with more visual style
- "Drive home" button
- The map should be "always pre-loaded" when it has really pre-loaded. The map loads, when I'm moving from turn to another in Routing screen.
- In the Routing screen, the map will be back to my position, though I'd like to watch the intersection where I've to turn.
- If the name of the road changes, it should not be a reason to give a voice guide.
- In this place the routing does not work at all: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=61.87661&lon=28.950705&zoom=18&layers=M. In the attached image, the true route is with green colour, and Marble's route with red. Look at it with Google Streetview (http://goo.gl/maps/Dkcf3), and see that it's not possible.
- It's not good to say "Ahead, keep to the left", instead "After two kilometers, keep to the left". Don't use "ahead" term any more, please.
- In navigation mode, button to replay the latest voice guide.
- Favorites menu
- 3D navigation mode
- Route overview button in navigation mode
- Latest destinations list
- Possibility to prevent congestion charges, motorways, ferries, tunnels (with some height)
- Bigger buttons for navigation screen (easier to hit when driving a car)

Get own website as well with translate support and good-looking style (even I can make them if anyone else cannot).

I hope your software will be easy to use for anyone. I will start using it, when the list above is completely done. Hopefully it doesn't take too much time.

Regards,
Aleksi Kinnunen
Open source developer and translator
Finland