[Marble-devel] GroundLayer

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Thu Aug 2 12:39:28 UTC 2012

If you have a map theme that purely consists of vector data then the
vector data might not provide the background itself being rendered.

The groundlayer provides just that: a filled background color.

We needed it for two reasons:

- In the Natural Earth  Vector rendering GSoC project we want to replace the
ancient VectorComposer/VectorMap API by full GeoPainter / GeoData rendering.
There the source data (shape files) don't define a common background color.
Instead the color is specified by the dgml document. It has been like that for
our current Plain Map but there the blue ocean ("ground") gets painted by
VectorComposer::paintBase() (?).

- And the Vector Tiles used in our current OSM Vector Tile GSoC project also
don't provide rendering information for the ocean / land.

So in order to end up with a "transparent" background we have the ground layer
now.

For all maps that use bitmap data the groundlayer is simply not rendered at
all since it's not needed.

BR,
Torsten