[Marble-devel] Implementing a LayerInterface using Python bindings

Jason Roehm jasonr at 3db-labs.com
Mon Apr 16 14:37:40 UTC 2012

I'm trying to use the Marble Python bindings to create an application,
currently based on the version tagged as "v4.8.1" in git. I would like
to create a custom layer to render items on the globe. Following the C++
tutorial on KDE TechBase
(http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/LayerInterface), it looks like
I need to create a subclass of Marble's LayerInterface class, then
implement a few methods that are called to render my items.

My question is: can I implement this subclass in pure Python? I tried to
make a very simple example to test this out, and I get a segfault on the
widget's first paint event. Specifically, the segfault occurs as soon as
LayerManager tries to invoke one of the functions of my subclass
(renderPosition() is called first). A minimal example is located at:

http://paste.kde.org/457910/

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this something that you just
can't do in pure Python?

Thanks for your help.

Jason