[Marble-devel] Order of latitude and longitude in the UI

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Oct 31 18:13:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

in Marble the order of the coordinates in the UI seems to be:
	longitude, latitude.

And only this way, no config option. Why?

Looking around and also from memories the order (in UI) usually seems to be:
	latitude, longitude

Is the order e.g.
* in Wikipedia articles (see e.g. cities)
* in Earth program of some search engine provider
* in Geo URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoURI)
* lots of pages I see on the net

At least for the CRS typically used (which is BTW? And also used in Marble?).

Sure, goes against the x,y idea one is used in other fields, but than this
seems the historic way to have coordinates as text
(Just seems some db schemes have it the other way round, longitude,latitude,
KML also seems to do it that way, but that is data storage vs. display in UI).

Could that at least be made a configuration option, in which order to render
the coordinates or copy to clipboard? I would provide a patch for this "bug"
:)

Cheers
Friedrich

PS: Some interesting pages I found on this issue:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/6037/latlon-or-lonlat-whats-the-right-
way-to-display-coordinates-and-inputs
http://www.directionsmag.com/articles/a-history-of-the-order-of-x-y-and-z-150-
and-why-its-important/122601