[Marble-devel] Re: Out of tree/non-GPL components?

Bastian Holst bastianholst at gmx.de
Tue Mar 15 17:04:20 CET 2011

Hi Deepak and Torsten,

> > 1) What is the viability of developing plugins as standalone
> >
> >    components outside the Marble source tree? I'm imagining
> >    somethinig similar to building out-of-tree kernel modules.
> >    If this is not doable right now, what is the interest
> >    level in this being supported? I may be able to get some
> >    cycles to go work on this.
>
> I guess it shouldn't be too hard to get this going. I haven't tried this
> myself yet but I don't see any major obstacles. I guess
> you just need to try it and it would be extremely valuable if you
> could create some documentation and/or provide some
> required code changes where possible. :-)

I have already done this at some point, it is not really the problem. The
largest "problem" is to find the plugin installation directory so the plugin
will be found by Marble.
This tutorial [1] describes how to build a plugin out-of-tree (among other
things). There I hardcoded the installation directory. It would be better to
look for it on the disk somehow.

Best regards
Bastian

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/OnlineServices