[Marble-devel] Re: Platform 11 Discussions

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:39:48 CEST 2011

On Saturday 04 Jun 2011 08:34:46 Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Thanks for being there and wearing the Marble helmet :-) Unfortunately I
> wasn't able to join the Platform 11 meeting since I had been pretty busy
> with other stuff (but I'll hopefully be at the Qt Contributors Summit).

Glad you might be at QCS, the more KDE voices the better :-)

> Yes, we had a similar discussion at the Marble meeting as you might
> remember.

Ah yes, I knew such a good idea couldn't have been mine ;-)

> The only things that we do differently in GeoDataCoordinate are the
> to/fromString methods which have a few things that make it more flexible:
>
> - GeoDataCoordinate::toString() has a precision parameter
> - There are GeoDataCoordinate::lonToString() and
> GeoDataCoordinate::latToString() which have a QString-like API for string
> creation.
> -. There is GeoDataCoordinate::fromString() (which doesn't catch all
> possible cases but it's useful for the most important ones).
>
> If we could add those features to QGeoCoordinate that would be (imho) a
> good thing to do.
>
> Apart from that there are some differences which are rather a matter of
> taste and/or use case specific:
>
> - our enums for the Notation/Coordinate Format are different
> - and we "cache" the matrix/quaternion that is associated to the 3D-globe
> case for reasons of performance.

Cool, I've documented those and we'll see how it goes.  I'll probably post a
mail to the Qt5 list about this and a couple of other questions about the
plans for QtLocation and see what happens.

Cheers!

John.