[Marble-devel] Platform 11 Discussions

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:00:38 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

I'm at the Platform 11 sprint discussing how kdleibs is going to look after
Qt5.  One thing we are discussing is geolocation and one idea that has been
floated to having QGeoCoordinates and QGeoAddress moved from QtLocation into
QtCore as fundamental data types, i.e. part of the Qt type system including
QVariant and everything.  These classes would then become the common
interchange and storage format that even the lowest level KDE libraries can
use in their classes and api without needing QtLocation or libmarble to be
installed at build or run time.

Note we are not suggesting Marble switch classes, or that the Qt classes
should get all the advanced Marble features, or that QtLocation is the blessed
gelocation framework, it's just a way to store and pass around basic geo data
without needing a full geolocation/mapping library installed.  It also should
give some flexability around the choice of geolocation frameworks.

Does this sound a good idea?  Is there anything in the Qt classes that you
think should be changed, or any Marble features that would be good to add? Are
there any other basic geodata classes you think should also be added?

Cheers!

John.